As a member of Union Pacific's Finance department, you will have the opportunity to work in a high-tech, Fortune 200 company which provides many opportunities for growth and advancement. We are currently looking for college graduates to work in our Accounting, Corporate Audit, Financial Analysis, and Planning and Analysis groups.
Candidates are being considered for either a Financial Analyst position and/or Corporate Auditor. This position is located at Union Pacific's headquarters in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Accounting Analysts can work in payroll, timekeeping, accounts payable, revenue accounting, financial reporting, audit and our process improvement group. Analysts can serve as the primary point of contact for customers and work with Marketing, Customer Service, and IT to resolve issues and implement changes to achieve improvements in cash flow, billing accuracy and customer satisfaction measures; perform audits of revenue and payment processes, and operating routines to ensure the integrity of financial reporting and to identify cash recovery opportunities; or assist in the planning, development, and implementation of system solutions to automate processes, reduce costs, and increase productivity within the Accounting area.
- All candidates should possess a blend of strong analytical skills and a well-rounded business perspective. Candidates must possess excellent communication skills and have the ability to respond clearly and concisely to technical and financial questions. Travel Some travel may be required
- Accounting Analysts- Candidates in this area should have an undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting, finance, business, or management information systems (minimum 3.0 GPA). Candidates are encouraged to obtain a CMA, CPA or Master's degree in Business Administration. Financial Analysts-Candidates in this area should have an undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting or finance (minimum 3.0 GPA). An emphasis in engineering, transportation or management information systems is also preferred. Candidates are encouraged to obtain a Masters degree. Financial Auditors-Bachelor's degree in Accounting, or in Finance with 6 hours of accounting (minimum 3.0 GPA). Master's degree in Business Administration. You will be encouraged to pass the CPA or CIA exams.
- Financial Auditors are concerned with determining the accuracy of records, the adequacy of controls and the overall effectiveness of operations in a given organizational unit. The foundation of virtually all audits is financial, but the audit scope can quickly expand to encompass operational issues when financial data suggests opportunities for savings or the need for further scrutiny. We look to individual audit teams for innovative techniques that will answer the special questions each audit poses. You and your team can be responsible for savings or recoveries of thousands, even millions of dollars. You will acquire an in-depth knowledge of how Union Pacific functions, allowing you to see beyond the numbers and into the detailed activities of a business. The average tenure with the internal audit function is three to five years during which time you will develop a unique skill set that will allow you to branch into other areas of Union Pacific such as financial management, accounting, human resources, marketing and sales, strategic planning, or network design.
- Financial Analysts can work in either the Financial Analysis group or in the Planning and Analysis group of Finance. As part of Financial Analysis, you will develop the long range plan and annual budget, and collaborate with all departments to initiate and implement financial solutions in the areas of operations, productivity, and spending in order to effectively achieve the company's financial objectives. As part of Planning and Analysis, you will perform economic analysis to ensure effective management of over $3 billion in capital expenditures annually, evaluate mergers, acquisitions, partnerships and sale of subsidiary companies and provide cost and contribution analysis to evaluate the profitability of over 10 million freight car shipments each year.
Preferred Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- A Bachelor Degree Candidate must have obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting, finance, business, or management information systems at the time of starting with the company full time.